Le Trou cocktail will warm you right up by combining maple syrup, Calvados and cedar infusion.
This rum recipe is an except from A Field Guide to Canadian Cocktails, by Victoria Walsh and Scott McCallum.
- 4 cups apple cider, preferably unsweetened
- 12 oz (360 ml) Newfoundland Screech Rum or dark rum
- 4 tsp (20 ml) chilled Bakeapple Compound Butter or 4 tsp (20 ml) chilled salted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 6 cinnamon sticks, for garnish (optional)
- Set out 6 warmed heatproof mugs or Irish coffee glasses.
- Pour 2 oz (60 ml) screech into each mug.
- If using compound butter, omit honey. If using regular butter, spoon 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 ml) honey into each mug.
- Pour 2⁄3 cup (160 ml) warm cider into each mug.
- Thinly slice compound or regular butter.
- Top each drink with a little butter. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, if you like.
Bakeapple Compound Butter
- In a small bowl, stir 1 tbsp (15 ml) room-temperature butter, preferably lightly salted, with 1 tsp (5 ml) bakeapple or apple jelly.
- Mound on top of plastic wrap and roll into a small log.
- Wrap and refrigerate until chilled. ompound butter will keep, sealed and refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks. Makes 4 tsp.