PRESENTED BY CLUB HOUSE
Romain Avril is the executive chef at Toronto’s Lavelle. In this recipe, shrimp and halibut combine with cinnamon-scented rice for a deliciously satisfying take on curry.
Green Curry Broth
Halibut and Shrimp
- 12 Shrimp
- 16 oz Halibut
- 2 tbsp Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
- 4 Limes, cut in half
- 1 Red chili, sliced thin
- 4 stalks Fresh Thai basil
For the Green Curry Broth:
- Dice garlic, lemongrass, red chilies, ginger, galangal. In a pot add all ingredients together with the Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk and Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste and cook for an hour on a low simmer.
- Add the remaining chilies, coriander, and Thai basil. Let it steep for 15 min and reserve.
For the Halibut and Shrimp:
- Devein the shrimp and cut the halibut into big chunks (1oz each).
- Marinate them for 6 hours with 2 tbsp of Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes in a pot with some of the coconut curry broth and do the same with the halibut.
For the Cinnamon Scented Rice:
- Brunoise the onion, garlic, ginger, chili, galangal and sweat it off with all the spices. Make sure to do it on low heat, so the mixture cooks with no colour.
- Add the rice to the mixture and mix and season.
- Add the coconut water and cook until all the liquid evaporates.
- Adjust seasoning, add the zest and juice from the lime and the chopped up, and some chiffonade of fresh coriander.
Don’t forget the Naan: Customize your favourite naan by cutting it into quarters and deep frying or grilling it. Then brush garlic oil on top and season to taste.
For more recipe inspiration from North America’s top chefs, visit Club House for Chefs.
Chef Avril was born in France where he began his career at the Relais & Châteaux Domaine de la Bretesche. Moving on to London, he spent time at 2 Michelin-starred The Greenhouse and crossed the pond to Toronto and worked as Executive Chef at Le Saint-Tropez, Marcel’s and Le Zazou. At Origin North he was Chef de Cuisine with Claudio Aprile.
His current role is as Executive Chef at Lavelle Restaurant in Toronto.