Chef Carolina Diaz is Barilla’s First Ever Female Master of Pasta
Carolina of Terzo Piano at the Art Institute in Chicago, won the title at the seventh edition of the Pasta World Championship held recently in Milan. Competing against 17 other young chefs from around the world, Carolina cooked a reinvented Spaghetti al Pomodoro that won over a jury that had collectively accumulated four Michelin stars.
Carolina’s recipe for Spaghetti n. 5 with tomatoes, lemon, and peperoncino reinvents Spaghetti al Pomodoro. Cleverly using every part of the tomato to make a dish that exemplifies a perfect balance between acidity and sweetness, she added the stem to the sauce for an herbaceous component and used three different types of cherry tomatoes for the sauce.
“I’m truly honored, I did Italian my way,” said Caroline Diaz, American chef, and winner of the 2018 Barilla Pasta World Championship. “I’m honored to be the first woman to win the Master of Pasta title, women are taking over and it’s time that our work gets recognized around the world.”
Carolina grew up in a large Mexican family outside of Chicago and learned how to balance flavors from her father’s cooking. After a few years working as a line cook, Carolina decided to explore Italian cuisine in 2012 to eventually join the Terzo Piano team at the Art Institute of Chicago in 2016 as Chef di Cucina. Carolina believes in using local, organic and sustainable products to cook delicious Mediterranean dishes with a Midwestern twist.
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup garlic
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pepper
- 1/2 lemon skin
- 1/2 cup basil
- juice 1 lb cherry tomatoes reserve juice and pulp
- the other 1 lbs of tomatoes, toss in extra virgin olive oil, salt and bake at 200C for 20 minutes. One done, juice. Reserve pulp and juice. In a pot heat up extra virgin olive oil
- add chopped garlic and allow to cook slowly until bright white.
- add tomato pulp only
- allow to cook for 40 minutes on med high heat
- chop basil and add to tomatoes
- add lemon skin and pepper chopped.
- finish, boil water, add 2 cups salt. Add spaghetti and cook according to the box.
For more flavourful inspiration and recipes, visit Barilla