Recipe courtesy of Chefs Connie DeSousa & John Jackson CHARCUT Roast House, Calgary
Pioneering Alberta’s Urban-Rustic food scene, CHARCUT Roast House is led by co-chefs and co-owners John Jackson and Connie DeSousa.
With house butchered meats, homemade preserves, new menus daily, Canada’s first beer steward overseeing cellared international brews and a bustling open kitchen, Jackson, DeSousa and CHARCUT are helping put Calgary on the world’s culinary map.
Gouda Aged from Sylvan Star was named Best Aged Gouda at the 2015 Canadian Cheese Grand Prix.
- 2 cups Gouda Aged from Sylvan Star, microplaned
- 1 head Cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets
- ½ cup Sourdough breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 egg yolks • Salt and pepper
- Crushed dry red pepper chilli flakes
- Nutmeg, freshly grated
Serves 4 as a main course or 6 to 8 as a side dish
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Clean cauliflower and cut into small bite-size florets. Add to metal mixing bowl.
- Season cauliflower with salt, pepper, chilli and nutmeg. Add butter and olive oil to sauté pan and bring to medium heat.
- When butter bubbles, add garlic and sauté for two minutes. Remove, add half the butter and oil to the bowl with cauliflower florets, and toss until coated.
- When coated in butter, add one cup of the microplaned cheese and toss again.
- Add cauliflower mixture to oven safe casserole dish.
- Top casserole dish with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Drizzle top of casserole with remaining butter and oil to lightly coat the crumbs and bake until cheese and breadcrumbs become lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and push down three divots in the cauliflower and add your egg yolks.
- Return to oven for a few minutes to gently warm egg yolk but not to cook it fully. Serve immediately and enjoy.