PRESENTED BY CACAO BARRY
Summer doesn’t have to be all about fruit pies.
The chocolate geniuses at Cacao Barry have put together this dream of a chocolate pie featuring three different chocolates from their incredible selection: ALUNGA™ is slightly sweet milk chocolate with a dominant taste of cocoa and milk. OCOA™ is a distinctive dark chocolate with good cocoa taste and a hint of acidity, with their Extra Brute™ cacao powder, bringing intense colour to the mix.
- In a saucepan, heat cream and milk.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar.
- Pour warm cream over egg yolk mixture and mix together. Transfer mixture back to the saucepan.
- Return saucepan over heat, stirring cream constantly until it thickens and reaches 85°C (185°F).
- Strain to obtain a smooth texture.
- Add gelatin.
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- Pour cream preparation over chocolate and let set for 2 minutes, then combine.
- Chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Sift flour, sugar, icing sugar, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy, then add flour mixture.
- Mix until dough is formed.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out dough to a thickness of 4 mm, then cut out a circle 16 cm in diameter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and place the circle of dough.
- Bake in the oven at 160°C (325°F), until golden.
- Let cool and transfer to a serving dish.
- Combine butter and brown sugar.
- In another bowl, sift all dry ingredients.
- Add them to the butter and brown sugar mixture.
- Mix until just combined.
- Grate into small chunks using a grater.
- Spread chunks evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze at least 20 minutes before baking to harden.
- Bake in the oven at 160°C (325°F) for 15 minutes, or until cooked.
- Cool and set aside.
- 125 mL (½ cup) butter
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) corn starch
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) Extra Brute cocoa powder
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) salt
- 1 mango, peeled and diced to garnish
- 925 mL (3 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 500 mL (2 cups) icing sugar
- 4 mL (3/4 tsp.) salt
- 500 mL (2 cups) softened butter
- Place cream in a pastry bag with a plain tip.
- Squeeze little balls of chocolate cream onto the crust over a diameter of 14 cm. Leave 2 cm of space all around.
- Sprinkle pie with streusel chunks and diced mango.
Prepare chocolate cream the day before so it’s ready when you assemble the pie.