If you feel the pressures of holiday entertaining slowly mounting, here’s some relief in the form of a genuinely original appetizer recipe from our friends at King Cole Ducks.
Roasted sliced potatoes, topped with sliced peppered smoked duck and topped with red pepper jelly and goat cheese are perfect little morsels for entertaining.
Or a lovely indulgence for two.
Roast Potato Bruschetta with Peppered Duck
Makes: 18 appetizers
1 King Cole Ducks Peppered Smoked Duck Breast
1 (approx.) large long baking potato* (about 1 lb/500g)
1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp (1 mL) dried Italian seasoning
18 baby arugula or basil leaves
3 tbsp (45 mL) prepared red pepper jelly
3 tbsp (45 mL) (approx.) crumbled goat cheese
Chopped fresh chives
1. Score the skin of duck breast with cuts made ½-inch (1 cm ) apart diagonally in both
directions to make a cross-hatch pattern.
2. Cook in a skillet, skin side down, over medium heat until crispy, about 5 to 6
minutes. Remove from skillet and reserve fat.
3. Scrub potato and cut crosswise into ¼-inch (6 mm) slices discarding ends.
4. In small bowl, combine reserved duck fat, oil, garlic, salt and pepper and Italian
seasoning. Use to brush both sides of potato slices.
5. Arrange slices in single layer, on parchment lined baking sheets and bake at
425°F (220°C) for 40-45 minutes or until brown and crusty. (slices can be kept
loosely covered for a few hours at room temperature, best used same day).
6. Slice duck breast into 18 thin slices.
7. To serve: top potato slices (cut in half if too large) with arugula or basil leaf, duck slice, little red pepper jelly, little goat cheese and sprinkle with chives.
*You should have enough potato to make 18 appetizers. Large slices can be cut in half to serve.