This traditional Turkish dish often features scrambled eggs, but here we feature eggs that are gently poached in the vegetable-loaded tomato sauce.
- 3 tbsp (45mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red chili pepper, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 can (28oz/796mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5mL) each dried oregano and hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1.25mL) freshly ground pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60mL) chopped parsley
- Whole wheat toast (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125mL) plain yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Pinch each salt, freshly ground pepper and hot pepper flakes
- Stir yogurt with garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch (25cm) skillet set over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, green pepper and chili pepper rings. Cook, stirring until softened (3 or 4 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, paprika, half the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened (18 to 20 minutes).
- Preheat broiler to high, position the rack 6 inches from the heat source.
- Make 6 divots in the sauce mixture; crack an egg into each divot. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Cook until egg whites start to set (3 to 5 minutes).
- Broil until eggs are soft cooked or cooked until desired doneness is achieved (1 to 2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with Yogurt Sauce and toast, if desired.
Prepare the beurre monté:
- Heat a deep saucepan on medium, add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of water, and then incorporate the butter one cube at a time, allowing each to emulsify completely before adding another.
- Keep warm, maintaining a temperature between 160 and 180°F (70-83°C) so as to preserve the emulsion.
For more information fantastic egg recipes, visit eggs.ca