Canada has attained nine spots on the inaugural list of the world’s 1,000 best restaurants.
LA LISTE, a Paris-based website created to rank the best restaurants in the world, published its first list on Dec. 17.
A restaurant’s ranking was determined using data and reviews from more than 200 guidebooks and online review sites, including Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants. A panel of about 150,000 restaurant owners were asked to to rate the reliability of the various guidebooks used in the ranking.
LA LISTE is founded by Philippe Faure, Ambassador of France, former CEO of Gault & Millau and head of the French Tourism Board.
Globally, Restaurant de l’Hotel de Ville in Switzerland placed first, followed by Per Se in New York and Kyo Aji in Japan.
In Canada, Hawksworth Restaurant in Vancouver holds the highest ranking in 546 place, followed by:
Toque!, Montreal (556th place)
Initiale, Quebec City (558th place)
Scaramouche, Toronto (745th place)
Splendido, Toronto (755th place)
Canoe, Toronto (757th place)
Maison Boulud, Montreal (790th place)
Langdon Hall, Cambridge (810th place)
Panache, Quebec City (813th place)
France and Japan tallied the most locations on the list, with more than 100 spots each. LA LISTE also discovered the top ranking restaurants serve French, Japanese and Chinese cuisine, followed by American casual dining and Italian fare.
Most Awarded Chefs
- Joel Robuchon, 11 restaurants
- Alain Ducasse, 7 restuarants
- Pierre Gagnaire, 7 restuanrats
- Martin Berasategui, 6 restaurants
- Daniel Boulud, 6 restuanrants
- Jean-Georges Vongerichten 6 restaurants
- Gordon Ramsay, 5 restaurants
- Tannick Alleno, 4 restaurants
- Wolfgang Puck, 4 restaurants
- Thomas Keller, 4 restaurants
- Gaston Acurio, 4 restaurants
- Nobuyuki Matsuhisa, 3 restaurants