For the Gnocci
- 500g buffalo ricotta, drained
- 40g chicken egg yolk
- 7g kosher salt
- 7g freshly grated nutmeg
- 60g finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 225g all-purpose flour + more for flouring
- 125g chestnut flour
For the Roasted Chestnuts
- 8 whole chestnuts
- 150g white sugar
- 150g water
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the Robiola Fonduata
- 300ml whipping cream
- 300ml robiola
- 100g finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1g kosher salt
- 80g good butter, cubed
- 10 large leaves sage, cut Chiffonade
- 40g white truffle
- In a large bowl, combine Parmigiano-Reggiano, ricotta and egg yolks, and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt and nutmeg and whisk until even.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mix, mix by hand until ingredients are just combined, being careful to not overwork.
- Remove dough from bowl and transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough into eighths, and roll one parcel of dough at a time until a half-inch tube is formed. Cut every half-inch.
- If you have a gnocchi paddle, roll each piece down the length of the paddle, applying light pressure, until a c-shaped pasta is formed.
- Transfer gnocchi to a lightly floured tray and cover with saran wrap. As you make your gnocchi, transfer them to a lightly floured sheet tray, sprinkling with more flour as you go, to avoid them sticking together.
- Once all gnocchi have been formed, drop in boiling, salted water until they float. Be sure to not over fill the pot as gnocchi will stick together.
- Once cooked, transfer to an oiled, parchment-lined baking tray and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Score chestnuts at the bottom with an “x” and place in one layer on a baking tray.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, until shells crack. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime, combine water, sugar and cinnamon in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow cinnamon to infuse for 30 minutes. Cover with a lid to preserve heat.
- Once chestnuts are cool enough to handle, peel off shells.
- Add chestnuts to cinnamon syrup, ensuring chestnuts are fully covered and let infuse for 20 minutes.
- Once infused, thinly slice chestnuts, trying to keep the whole slice intact.
- Cut robiola into small cubes and bring to room temperature.
- Heat up cream on a stove top to a simmer.
- Whisk in parmiagiano until dissolved. Remove from heat, and place mixture in a blender and add in robiola cheese.
- Blend on a high speed until smooth, add salt.
- Keep some where warm until needed.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large high walled sauté pan, add butter and cook over medium low heat until brown and nutty in aroma, being careful not to burn.
- Add gnocchi to the water and cook for 3-5 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Add chestnuts and sage to the brown butter to infuse.
- Strain gnocchi and add to the pan.
- Toss to coat in butter and season with salt to taste.
- Divide gnocchi into four plates, top with fonduta and cover with thinly-shaved truffles.