This recipe from Chef Hideyuki of Montreal’s Marusan Comptoir Japonais is a healthy and tasty combination of fish, rice, ginger, sake, shiso and sesame.
- Short Grain Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 150ml
- Usukuchi Shoyu – 15ml
- Sake – 15ml
- Kombu – 1pc
- Salt to adjust
- Red Snapper – 80g
- Minced Ginger – small amount
- Shiso – 1 leaf
- Sesame – small amount
- Wash rice and soak in water for 30min (until the rice becomes white) in the pot or nabe.
- Drain water and put 150ml of fresh water with kombu, 15ml of sake, and 15ml of usukuchi shoyu.
- Cover the pot/nabe and turn up to high heat until ingredients begin to steam.
- Put Red Snapper into the oven for 3 min.
- When the pot begins to steam, reduce heat to low and let cook for 9 min.
- Pull out the kombu and add minced ginger and red snapper.
- Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 13 min.
- Garnish with sesame and choped shiso.