This cocktail recipe is an except from A Field Guide to Canadian Cocktails, by Victoria Walsh and Scott McCallum.
- 1 small maple leaf sugar candy, no larger than 1 inch in diameter
- 2 dashes Bittered Sling Kensington Dry Aromatic bitters or Angostura bitters
- 1 large ice cube
- 2 oz (60 ml) Canadian rye whisky
- Handful of ice cubes
- 1 lemon peel strip
- Cut maple leaf in half.
- Place one half into an old-fashioned glass. Add bitters.
- Muddle into a paste.
- Add large ice cube to old-fashioned glass along with paste.
- Pour in whisky.
- Pull a long strip of lemon peel over the glass, releasing oils into cocktail.
- Gently pinch, peel side out, misting oils over surface of the drink.
- Rub peel around the outside rim of the glass, then add to the cocktail.