- 30mL (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 125mL (1/2 cup) diced Spanish onion
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 125mL (1/2 cup) basil leaves, loosely packed
- 6 Roma tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, cut crosswise into a dozen 1/3-inch slices
- 100g (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 100g (1/2 cup) dry bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- Canola oil for deep-frying
- 200g (6oz) buffalo milk ricotta
- 30mL (2 tbsp) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 ball of burrata cheese
- Sea salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until it softens (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for two more minutes. Add tomatoes.
- Set aside half the basil, shred the rest and add to saucepan.
- Simmer gently until tomatoes have disintegrated and sauce is thick (about 1 hour).
- Season to taste and set aside.
- Arrange a breading station. Coat eggplant slices in flour, then egg white, then bread crumbs.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil to 360°F in a heavy, deep pot or deep-fryer. Fry eggplant in batches until crisp and golden.
- Set aside to drain on paper towels and season with salt.