ERNESTO IACCARINO IS THE HEAD CHEF AT TWO MICHELIN STARRED DON ALFONSO 1890 IN AMALFI, ITALY
– 260 g Rigatoni
– 50 g peas
– 250 g mozzarella cheese
– 60 g ground pork
– 30 g breadcrumb
– 6 cl milk
– 50 basil leaves
– 5 cl extra virgin olive oil
– 15 g onion
– 300 g ragout
– 2 eggs
– 10 g garlic
- Make the meatballs with the ground pork, 1 egg, minced onion, salt, pepper and the breadcrumb pre-soaked in the milk. Sauté them in extra virgin olive oil.
- Blanch 40 basil leaves and then mix with extra virgin olive oil to make the Basil Sauce
- Warm 4 centilitre of milk; add 70 g of sliced thinly mozzarella and cook in a double saucepan to make the Mozzarella sauce
- Stir fry the peas with the browned onion; slice thinly 180 g of mozzarella
- Cook the other egg for 7 minutes in boiling water, make cold and mince
- In the meantime cook the rigatoni for about 3 minutes in abundant boiling salted water, drain and mix the ragout and a half of basil
- In a silver tin mould of about 8 cm, formerly covered with plastic wrap, create a pie with rigatoni, sliced thinly mozzarella, peas, minced egg, meatballs and basil (we suggest to put the mozzarella both on the base and on the top of the pie so that it will be well-fixed)
- Bake in a 160° C oven for about 14 minutes.
- Turn pie over onto a dish.
- Dress with ragout, mozzarella sauce, basil sauce, basil leaves and extra virgin olive oil.
Don Alfonso 1890 Toronto is the first North American location of world-renowned Michelin Starred Chefs Alfonso and Ernesto Iaccarino’s Don Alfonso 1890 in Amalfi. It is located in the historic Consumer’s Gas Building of 1852 on Toronto Street in downtown Toronto. The restaurant is designed to evoke a sense of elegance and sophistication and acts as a canvas for the food it presents.
Showcasing the incredible cuisine of Chef Ernesto Iaccarino and the wonderfully fresh flavors of the Amalfi coast, Don Alfonso 1890 is an internationally recognized award-winning concept with locations in Sant’Agata, Amalfi Coast, Italy; Levello, Basilicata, Italy; Helena Bay, New Zealand; Macau, China and now Toronto. Don Alfonso 1890’s cuisine is characterized by its modernity, Mediterranean flare and the exceptional quality of the raw materials used.